Harry Potter, circa 1940s

hpposter

Ah, Harry Potter. The boy who became a movie classic. Harry Potter was the first thing that came to mind for the Movies From Another Time assignment, and I think it’s really ideal for something like this. I mean, if you compare the movie poster for the first movie to some movie posters from the past, you can see where the style and placement of characters would mirror those of the past. Maybe that’s why it’s one of the first things that came to mind.

Of course, for this assignment, I took some creative liberties with the instructions. For one, I had absolutely no idea where I would find a boy actor playing a wizard in an old movie. Would have loved to, but I am not that knowledgeable in old movies. Plus, how could we even think about replacing Daniel Radcliffe? Just look at that baby face! Remember when they were young and innocent?

I also used more modern fonts for this poster. I figured it would be better to have a Harry Potter font, than to just have some random 40s-style font.

Process:

Like always, everything was done in GIMP….almost.

First, of course, I looked up reference images in the movie posters, and then picked the images for Harry and the Castle. I then spent a lot of time fiddling with those images, cutting them out with the free-hand lasso tool. For Harry, I used the posterize effect, created several different layers, one of which was dramatically blurred, and the others to retain the features (I did a similar thing with the castle). I especially messed with the colors, to give that old-timey feel to them.

Then came the font. The Harry Potter font was easy enough to find, so I installed that (restarted GIMP because I don’t think you can refresh your fonts in GIMP), and typed that up. The harder part was finding the font that’s used for the subtitle in the movie poster/the chapter headers/various other things. Sources say it’s called Able, and it costs about…$70? That’s a lot of money that I am not willing to spend on a font.

Luckily, there’s also Lumos, which is very similar and very free. I didn’t know it was free until just this moment, so the site I looked this up on also has a “Harry Potter font generator” at the bottom of the article, with various fonts from the series. I inserted the text I wanted, copied the generated image, and then rearranged it in GIMP to fit my needs.

After that, more fiddling, choosing a couple of fonts for the other various text on the poster, and voila! But not quite.

I wanted to have folds on my poster, and textures in the negative spaces, so it wouldn’t seem so bland. Easy enough, just found a “paper texture” on google images, placed it under the layer my poster was on, and fiddled with the layer settings until it looked the way I wanted it to.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *